CSGO Esports Across the WorldDecember 10, 2019analytics, eSports iQ
“We did something very interesting with CS in that we outsourced our map development to our community….So in essence, CS was really a community project.”Minh “Gooseman” Le, co-creator of Counter-Strike (CS) via Fandom
Strength in numbers
The Counter-Strike franchise is still strong – a full 20 years after launching as a mod to Half-Life. The latest release, Counter-Strike Global Offensive (CSGO), is a top-tier esport title with a thriving community of supporters across the world.
Towards that end, let’s take a data-driven look at the CSGO audience.
Approach: Use eSports iQ to profile the publicly available social data of 20,000+ competitive video game fans across France, Germany, Russia, Spain and the USA.
Objective: Gain insight into CSGO popularity across the globe
- 97% of the Russian esports audience follows either CSGO or DOTA2
- 8% of USA esports fans follow CSGO, OWL and League of Legends
- 10% of the esports audience in Spain follows CSGO and Rainbow 6
- There are 4 times more CSGO than Overwatch League fans in Germany
- CSGO is the third most popular esports title in the USA – trailing Call of Duty (37%) and the Overwatch League (29%)
Why it matters
Competitive video games are inherently global, but location has a major influence on fandom. Audience analytics illustrate these regional contours – enabling data driven decisions, rather than relying on gut feelings and intuitions.
eSports iQ uses AI/machine learning to produce audience analytics that help you understand digital sport fans, their interests and how to interact with them.